About

The CMS Project

The Corpus der minoischen und mykenischen Siegel (CMS) was a long-term project aiming at the systematic documentation and publication of all known Aegean seals and sealings in a consistent manner. The project, involving many contributors from the whole world, was established and carried out in Marburg from 1958 to 2011. It was directed by Friedrich Matz (1958-1974), Ingo Pini (1975-2002) and Walter Müller (2003-2011) and mainly funded by the Mainz Academy of Science and Literature. In December 2011, the Archive of the CMS, collected over more than 50 years of research and documentation of seals and sealings, was given from the Mainz Academy as a permanent loan to the Institute of Classical Archaeology and Byzantine Archaeology at the University of Heidelberg.  In Heidelberg the Archive is open for teaching purposes, internships and research visits.